The 2017 Greater Houston Area Auditions will be held at The High School for the Performing and Visual Arts (HSPVA) on Sunday, November 19, 2017. GHAA provides an opportunity for approximately 100 Houston area high school students, who intend to major in theatre, to audition for multiple college admissions and scholarships in a single audition.
To access the “Counselor Form” and “Theatre Teacher Reference Form”, click the Student Page link below:
Please see below for a list of colleges that participated in past Greater Houston Area Auditions.
Past Participating Colleges
(2017 list will be published closer to the event as colleges register)
CalArts (California Institute of the Arts)
CAP21 – Musical Theatre Conservatory, NYC
Carnegie Mellon University, School of Drama, Design
Chicago College of Performing Arts – Roosevelt University
College of the Mainland
Colorado Mesa University
Columbia College Chicago
Illinois Wesleyan University
KD College Conservatory of Film and Dramatic Arts
Long Island University-Post Campus
Louisiana State University
Manhattan School of Music
National Theater Institute
Nebraska Wesleyan University
New School for Drama
New York Conservatory for Dramatic Arts
New York Film Academy
Oklahoma City University
Penn State University
Rutgers University-Mason Gross School of the Arts
Saint Louis University
Sam Houston State University
Savannah College of Art & Design
Southern Methodist University
Stephen F. Austin State University
Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi, Theatre & Dance Dept.
Texas State University
Texas Tech University, Dept of Theatre and Dance
The Hartt School at the U of Hartford
The New School
University of AL at Birmingham
University of Evansville
University of Houston
University of Memphis
University of Miami
University of Minnesota/Guthrie
University of NC School of the Arts
University of Northern Colorado
University of OK, Weitzenhoffer
University of OK, Helmerich
University of South Dakota
University of Tampa
University of Texas at Austin
University of Texas El Paso
University of the Arts, Ira Brind School of Theater Arts
University of the Incarnate Word
USC School of Dramatic Arts
Wake Forest University
Who Can Audition
Audition candidates must meet the following criteria:
- High school graduating Senior.
- 2.75 minimum GPA on a 4.0 scale (unweighted).
- Will major in Theatre in college.
- Students must complete all three (3) steps in the registration process, including the $25 registration fee, in order to reserve an audition time.
Audition slots will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. There is no limit on the number of students that may audition from a specific school.
General Audition Information
- The Acting and Musical Theatre auditions are done in a “large-room” format with students performing on stage and college reps seated in the audience. Colleges post callback lists of students that they would like to interview.
- Actors will perform two contrasting monologues in two minutes total.
- Musical Theatre actors will perform a monologue and an accompanied song in two minutes total. An accompanist will be provided and Musical Theatre candidates must bring their music with cuts clearly marked. No a capella renditions and no recorded accompaniment.
- Technical/Design Theatre candidates will make a three-to-five minute portfolio presentation in a round-robin format in a large classroom or black box theatre (time allocation depends on the number of participants). Students will make repeated presentations.
- We do not take individual requests for audition time slots, you must check-in at the designated time and be in line at your Call Time, no exceptions. Auditions are done in groups.
- Individual student callbacks for all areas will be posted for each college/university throughout the day.
- Students may only participate in one type of audition but may indicate interest in many areas of theatre on their resume form.
- Click here to read the Rules and Advice for preparing for the auditions.
If you are a student, click here to go to the Student Information Page.
If you are a college faculty representative, click here to go to the College Representatives Registration Page.
The High School for the Performing and Visual Arts is centrally located in the heart of Houston’s arts and theatre district:
Houston, Texas 77006
Greater Houston Area Auditions Web Page List
- General Information Page
- Student Registration Page
- Rules and Advice
- Theatre Teacher Reference Form
- Counselor Form
- Contact Us
- College Representative Registration and Information