The 2018 Greater Houston Area Auditions will be held at The High School for the Performing and Visual Arts (HSPVA) on Sunday, November 18, 2018. GHAA provides an opportunity for approximately 100 Houston area high school students, who intend to major in theatre, to audition for multiple college admissions and scholarships in a single audition.
To access the “Counselor Form” and “Theatre Teacher Reference Form”, click the Student Page link below:
Please see below for a list of colleges that are participating in the Greater Houston Area Auditions.
Partial List of Participating Colleges 2018
(Will be updated as colleges register)
Texas State University
SFA School of Theatre
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
College of the Mainland
Texas Tech University
KD Conservatory College of Film & Dramatic Arts
The University of the Incarante Word
Univer. of Houston School of Theatre & Dance
University of Oklahoma Helmerich School of Drama
Southern Methodist University
New York Film Academy
Abilene Christian University
The New School
Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD)
Univeristy of Memphis
Long Island University/Post Campus
New York Conservatory for Dramatic Arts
Oklahoma City University
University of Central Oklahoma
University of West Florida
CalArts (California Institute of the Arts)
University of Oklahoma
Colorado Mesa University
University of Evansville
Lone Star College-CyFair
Nebraska Wesleyan University
Centenary College of Louisiana
Penn State Musical Theatre
College of Fine Arts- The University of Texas at Austin
Columbia College Chicago
Univeristy of Utah
Savannah College of Art and Design
Carnegie Mellon Univeristy
Rutgers University – Mason Gross School of the Arts
Who Can Audition
- High school graduating Senior.
- 2.75 minimum GPA.
- Will major in Theatre in college.
- Students must complete all three (3) steps in the registration process, including the $25 registration fee, in order to reserve an audition time.
Audition slots will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. There is no limit on the number of students that may audition from a specific school.
General Audition Information
- The Acting and Musical Theatre auditions are done in a “large-room” format with students performing on stage and college reps seated in the audience. Colleges post callback lists of students that they would like to interview.
- Actors will perform two contrasting monologues in two minutes total.
- Musical Theatre actors will perform a monologue and an accompanied song in two minutes total. An accompanist will be provided and Musical Theatre candidates must bring their music with cuts clearly marked. No a capella renditions and no recorded accompaniment.
- Technical/Design Theatre candidates will make a three-to-five minute portfolio presentation in a round-robin format in a large classroom or black box theatre (time allocation depends on the number of participants). Students will make repeated presentations.
- We do not take individual requests for audition time slots, you must check-in at the designated time and be in line at your Call Time, no exceptions. Auditions are done in groups.
- Individual student callbacks for all areas will be posted for each college/university throughout the day.
- Students may only participate in one type of audition but may indicate interest in many areas of theatre on their resume form.
- Click here to read the Rules and Advice for preparing for the auditions.
If you are a student, click here to go to the Student Information Page.
If you are a college faculty representative, click here to go to the College Representatives Registration Page.
The High School for the Performing and Visual Arts is centrally located in the heart of Houston’s arts and theatre district:
Houston, Texas 77006
Greater Houston Area Auditions Web Page List
- General Information Page
- Student Registration Page
- Rules and Advice
- Theatre Teacher Reference Form
- Counselor Form
- Contact Us
- College Representative Registration and Information